image: header
image: gownflare

Monday, January 15, 2007

Monday Morning -- Broadening the Writing Scope

Well, I don't have a lot to say this morning as I haven't received my book contract yet (the paper contract is coming in February), so I'm awaiting the revisions phase of the process. Until then, I can say I'm working on 2 other books to submit and in search of an agent once again.

Despite comments encouraging me to introduce Raelene to everyone on Fridays, only one comment leaves me wondering if it's good to continue. She'll get rather lonely if her diary entries aren't read. :)

I spent all weekend working on an assignment for a children's writing course I'm taking through correspondence. It's an excellent exercise to broaden my scope of writing from just adult fiction to children's fiction and nonfiction and articles. This course for the past 2 years has helped me do that and so much more. It's opened doors I never would have thought possible and provided me with invaluable feedback, support and encouragement that has kept me going.

For more than 32 years, the Institute of Children's Literature has offered the premiere writing course to adults interested in learning how to write and be published for children and teens. They offer one-on-one personalized instruction from an impressive faculty of active professional writers and experienced editors, and even offer college credits. You complete the course via the traditional home study method – with lessons exchanged through the mail or via the Internet.

Coming to the home stretch with just 2 assignments left to complete before receiving my diploma. Hopefully, I'll be done before I get into the major throes of revisions. If not, it'll be time to prioritize. In a world as hectic and busy as this one, that's not often easy. We all manage, though.

If anyone is interested in writing for children or even improving your writing for adults, check out the Institute for Children's Literature online. You won't regret it!

3 comments:

Jennifer Y. said...

That sounds like a really interesting writing course. When I was a kid, I wanted to write children's books.

Heather Ivester said...

Whoa...not sure how I ended up here -- but I'll put in my two cent's worth for ICL courses. I've taken two of their home writing courses, and their instructors are top notch! You don't get a nice, fluffy pat on the back; you get honest, thorough critiques, painful as they may be! :)

I learned a ton, even though I've written mostly for the adult market. Still, it's great to keep that little flame alive.

Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Oh, it *is*, Jennifer. If you still have that desire, check it out.

Heather, so glad you found us here. Not sure how, but thanks for visiting and taking time to post a comment. It's great to hear from someone else who's taken ICL courses.

So, what do you write?