image: header
image: gownflare

Monday, February 28, 2011

Baby Stockton #2 Countdown - Week 34, 6 to Go!

Almost to a single-hand countdown. That comes this Friday, March 4th. I'll be 5 weeks away. Before I get into the update, I started a "guessing game" online for folks to guess the length, weight, and actual birthday of our son. If you'd like to play, click the link below:

 Now, we're at week 34.5, so here is the update:

My amazing baby is on the move! Until now, my wee womb-squatter's been living fairly high up in my poor stretched-out womb - blithely compressing my poor lungs and internal organs. This week the little fella's going to pack his tiny bags and make the "big" move to my pelvis - commonly referred to as the time when my baby "drops". Based on the minor pressure I've been feeling the past couple of days, I'd say he's definitely headed in that direction. He's been head-down for several weeks, but now he gets to squeeze in there and limit his movements even more.

Maybe I'll finally adopt the pregnant-waddle. :)

I've already noticed the weight shift to more focus being lower. And my little kiddo seems to prefer my bladder as a resting place for his head. When it's not there, it's resting on my pubic bone. And because of this shift, I've had some sharp, intermittent pains down low as he's started pressing on my sciatic nerve. This means the discomfort in sleeping and sitting is back. Unfortunately, this will likely remain until my boy decides to make an appearance on the outside. I'll have to do my best to remain limber, get out for walks when I can and loosen up my pelvic muscles as much as possible.

If that doesn't work, I'll get off my feet and do some spine-lengthening stretches to help this little tyke move OFF that poor throbbing nerve.

In developing internal-organ news: although not quite fully formed, my little poop-factory's liver is now capable of processing a certain amount of waste. Because his liver is not quite birth-ready, it's common for newborns to get a case of mild and harmless jaundice (signaled by a slight yellowing of the skin). My daughter had it, but it was gone within 24 hours when we took her home.

For those who aren't familiar with it, jaundice is the result of a baby's body producing more bilirubin (a by-product of blood production) than the liver can currently break down, leading to a subtle yellow tinge that goes away in a few days. Babies born earlier than their due date tend to have moderate to severe jaundice, which - in the hospital, will be treated via light therapy to help their body break down the bilirubin. For home-birthers, jaundice is easily dealt with by increased breastfeeding (to help their body pass the bilirubin) and "naked time" for baby in a warm sunlit area for 10 minute intervals throughout the day until it disappears.

I had it when I was born, so I wasn't surprised to see my daughter have a mild case of it. After all, she was 10 days late. :) Let's pray my son doesn't wait that long. Although, we're praying he waits until after April 2nd, which is our daughter's birthday.

Other than that, I'm hanging in here, trying to keep everything balanced with a pending closure on a new house, a book deadline, and chasing after a toddler. At least I got our taxes done this past Saturday. One less thing on my mind. Somehow I'll get it all done!

And now some words from the hiccuping rib-kicker inside me:

Not much to report here. Yes, I get what Mama calls the hiccups a lot. Seems I can't quite get the hang of this breathing thing just yet. But I'm working on it!

I haven't been able to move as much as I'd like, but I'm rolling around and shifting as much as I can to get comfortable. My poor head seems like it's stuck most of the time. Then, Mama does something to make me feel like I'm floating, and it helps a lot. Otherwise, all this other stuff in here keeps pressing on me.

Of course, that loud hollering and noise out there, along with pounding on Mama's belly (and thereby me too) is still happening. Heard someone say something about my big sister head-butting me early. Not sure what that means, as my head and my bum are in two different places, and they don't touch. But, I do recall feeling a jolt each time. It wasn't pleasant.

The other day, Mama was saying something about a pain in her ribs and how it must be my foot kicking her or something. The next day, she said she couldn't eat anything because I was keeping the food from going anywhere. I felt bad, but there was nothing I could do. I was hungry too, so at least she kept some juice and water and some other sweet stuff coming my way. That night, she settled in such a way that I could move, and we were both all right.

Yes, I've started to swim a little further down. Not sure how long this journey will take, but it seems like the thing to do. All this work is making me tired, so I think I'll take another rest.

It's me again. The mama. :) That's it for now. Tune in each week for the latest. I'll get those new pix as soon as I can. And if you want to receive an email each time I post an update, subscribe using the form over there at the top right.

Thanks for coming along this journey with me...some of you for the second time.


Cheryl said...

I really need to check in here more. I had no idea you were pregnant again until I read your newsletter.

Congratulations! I am so happy for you.

Great newsletter, by the way. Congrats on your sale to Barbour. Good luck on the new series.


Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Wow, yes. Missed seeing you hanging around and commenting, Cheryl. But of course I've been so busy myself.

Thanks for the congrats on the baby, the newsletter, and the sales to Barbour. Lots happening. Always exciting.