image: header
image: gownflare

Friday, November 16, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: A Change of Fortune by Jen Turano

BOOK REVIEW
Title: A Change of Fortune
Author: Jen Turano
Publisher: Bethany House

All right, so it's no secret that I'm a historical fiction author, which means so much of my world is surrounded by reading and writing and researching historical fiction. I've been reading and studying it for so long, it's difficult to "wow" me in terms of quality stories and writing. Most of that is because I simply don't have the time to explore a large number of different authors hoping to find those gems, but it's also because with 2 little ones under foot, I have to split my reading and writing time out of the limited snippets of time I have available. So, when I find a top-notch author worthy of occupying a spot on my rather small bookshelf, I am sure to sing his/her praises.

This is the case with debut author Jen Turano. Not only do I have the privilege of sharing the wonderful state of Colorado with Jen, but I've even shared a meal with her--the first of which I hope is only the beginning.

For those unaware, there is a "sneak peak" at Hamilton in Jen's A Gentleman of Her Dreams novella, but that glimpse didn't even begin to peel back the layers of his amazing personality. And Eliza? Just how much trouble can a woman robbed of her fortune get into? If you want to know, you'll have to read this book. And trust me when I say you will not be disappointed. Eliza and her antics will keep you turning pages until the last, but a word of warning. Be sure you aren't drinking or eating while you're reading, or you might soil the book (or shower the eBook screen). You also might want to avoid reading if your spouse is sleeping next to you, lest your guffaws stir him/her awake.

I saw another review liken Jen to author Mary Connealy writing regency, and that is an excellent comparison. Humor isn't easy to write in historical novels, and even less so in the Regency/Colonial era. Jen pulls it off with hilarious success. I tip my hat to Jen Turano on this smashing debut!

2 comments:

squiresj said...

Oh we cannot have a no comment on a blog. I have seen reviews of this book in several places. I would review it if you need someone to.
jrs362 at hotmail dot com

Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Hehe. Thank you. It's nice to not see a post go without comments.

I can put you in touch with Jen to see if she would like more influencers and reviewers. Let me know.