image: header
image: gownflare

Monday, October 10, 2011

Monday Mishaps with Mom - Deadlines and Sick Kids

This week is for those facing a deadline and the interruption of sickness in the house.

Now, many of you here know I'm an author. And that means I have deadlines for completing books. My editors don't like it too much if I'm late. Today is one of those days. I am attempting to finish the revisions on a novella, but I have had next to zero time the past 3 weeks to work on it. And when I say revisions, I mean my own edits, not those from the editor once it reaches that stage in the process.

This past weekend was awesome as my husband took care of the kids for most of the 2 days and allowed me uninterrupted time to write. But, I didn't get as far as I needed to get. And this morning, the infant only slept for 45 minutes (normally 1-1/2 to 2 hours) then decided he wanted to scream for 30 minutes. The toddler wouldn't keep her hands off him, only making his crankiness worse.

To top that off, there has been sickness and tummy issues in the house for the past 2-1/2 weeks. Both kids had it and my husband caught it as well. That meant I played nursemaid, washer woman, disinfecting queen, and chief house mother to everyone. I washed 2 loads of laundry every day, cleaned out soiled clothes and spent a lot of time cuddling or snuggling. Praise God no one got a fever, but it wasn't easy getting a toddler to eat when everything she ate came out in a rather unpleasant fashion. She simply didn't want to eat or drink anything.

So, looks like I'm in for a marathon editing session during naptime today with a ton of prayers that both kids sleep well during that time.

How about you? Have you ever been under a deadline of any kind, and your best laid plans were interrupted by the needs of your family? What happened, and how did you handle it?

Tune in next week for the next "Monday Mishap with Mom." See you then!

And you can always look at the labels at the bottom of the right column to find "monday mishaps with mom" and read up on any week you've missed. My goal is to encourage mothers who feel a bit frazzled, and to help brighten your day as you start off your week. You're not alone.

No comments: