image: header
image: gownflare

Friday, April 08, 2011

Baby Stockton #2 Countdown - 40 Down, and Who Knows?

So, I reached week 40 today in terms of time, and I'm right on target in fundal measurement. I am at 4 pounds up from pre-pregnancy weight. Doesn't look like I'll gain much more. Only gained 12 lbs. total with my daughter.

Just a reminder, I have a "guessing game" online for folks to guess the length, weight, and actual birthday of our son. We will be awarding prizes (books, a $25 gift card, and something else) to the top 3 with the closest guesses. So, get in there and have fun. :)

If you'd like to play, click the link below:



Now, we're at week 40, so here is the update:

My doctor and his assistant both wondered if I'd make it to this appointment. Looks like I did. And there HAS been progress, even if I haven't had as many contractions as I did with my daughter when I was at this point with her. But again, numbers-wise, I'm still looking great, which is a small comfort when I've reached due date and still don't have a baby.

It's that last leg of the race, the finish line is laughing at me, and my patience is wearing thin. I'm told it's no surprise, and entirely normal to be pregnant for the next two weeks, but I'm praying that won't be the case, and this little guy will come in the next few days. Of course, if I want to get things moving labor-wise: I have to get moving myself!

Sure, I can hang out on the couch and take it easy, but my baby might just do the same. And we can't let that happen!

There have been some rough days where it's been painful to walk or move, and only comfortable when I stood or sat. Those days are when I want to do nothing but stay on the couch all day, but my toddler daughter, the doorbell, and the general demands on my time won't allow me to do that. Likely why I haven't gained much weight. I simply don't have time to stay still long enough for weight to accumulate. So, my son is taking away the excess I have and using it to keep himself nourished. Sounds good to me!

In terms of the measurements or stats, here they are:

Dilated to 4 cm
Effaced at 75%
Membranes stripped
Baby weight estimated at near 8 pounds
Baby's heartbeat was 135
Blood pressure and weight are looking good, no issues
Overall weight gain is 4 pounds

Due date is today, and after the appointment yesterday, I had several contractions coupled with discomfort in walking and moving. Lots of pressure, but overall I felt good. I'm just trying to take it easy, but another part of me wants to do everything I can to encourage this little fella it's safe to come out. I'm SO done being pregnant and want to get on with the next stage of life.

Sure, it'll mean sleepless nights, lots of crying, what will seem like a never-ending cycle of changing diapers and nursing, but it'll be worth it to hold my son in my arms. Praying that day comes real soon. I have an appointment next week for another ultrasound and an NST (non-stress test) to check the fluids around the baby, but the doctor doesn't believe I'll make it. Guess we'll wait and see.

And here are some words from the rocket baby inside me:

Today was definitely no picnic. The doctor pushed on my rump and near my head and shoved me this way and that. Then, this machine was put on Mama's belly right above my shoulder. I heard this thump-thumping, which I heard was my heartbeat. Kinda fun to hear that from in here, when I feel it myself. But I gather Mama likes to hear it too. Gives her some comfort and makes her happy.

Other than that, I'm just chilling in here, getting interrupted from my sleep by that caterwauling from my big sister, rolling around when I can, and feeling that tightening of Mama's tummy when those things she calls contractions happen. After what the doctor did, I can't turn my head as much, but I can still kick and move my arms and hands. I'll be glad not to be in this upside-down position for much longer though. Wonder if there's anything I can do to start making my exit. Mama said something about curb-walking, Chinese food, bumpy roads, and walking. Doesn't sound too bad.

Guess I'll start focusing more on coming out to meet Mama, Daddy, and that noisy sister. Hmm, maybe I can be louder than her! That could be fun. :)

It's me again. The mama. :) That's it for now. We're down to any day now. So, I can't say when my next post will be. And if you want to receive an email each time I post an update, subscribe using the form over there at the top right.

Thanks for coming along this journey with me...some of you for the second time.

No comments: