image: header
image: gownflare

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Baby Stockton #2 Countdown - Week 26, 14 to Go!

Just 14 weeks left. Still feels surreal and some days I have to remind myself I'm pregnant. Then, I look at my growing belly and see it's true. :)

This past week, my sister-in-law finally had her little boy. She's been having contractions since the middle of November, but she wasn't due until December 19th. Unfortunately, the contractions weren't doing anything. After all that time, Michael Vaughn Stockton made his appearance, just 10 days late. He weighed 8lbs, 6oz, and he was 21 inches long. My little one is going to have a cousin just 3 months older. It's going to be great!

And now, as of week 26, here is the update:

For those who are just tuning in, we had our ultrasound on December 2nd, and.... drum roll...

IT'S A BOY!

That's right. We've got an all-American male growing inside me, and he is an active little bugger. Richard Vaughn Stockton. We'll be calling him Richie.

At long last, my little swimmer can see the womb! My miracle boy’s little eyelids have finally separated (they were fused closed previously) and he's probably having his first moments of sight as you read this. Can't imagine it's much to see, but I know some light gets in there for him throughout the day, especially when I'm outside in the bright sunshine.

In addition to seeing his little studio in my belly, he's recently acquired the ability to say “yes” and “no” in rudimentary sign language as he can now move his head back and forth. Sure hope he's practicing "yes" more than "no." :) This is also the time where this little super star’s head hair is starting to grow! Hmm...wonder what color it will be, and if it will be curls and waves like his sister or straight and fine. A cute little cowlick or two may be springing into position right now, getting ready for years of cute-but-stubborn bed-head.

His toenails have grown in and my little raisin continues to slowly pile up fat beneath his still-loose skin. Most importantly, brain tissue and neurons are all developing at a rapid pace, increasing his (genius-level?) brain activity and will continue to function at accelerated levels for the first seven to eight years of childhood! Amazing to think how fast and how much that little brain grows in those early years.

And now for some words from the wiggle-worm inside me:

That shrieking I mentioned last week continues, although I'm hearing more and more stern-sounding responses from Mommy when it happens. I sure hope that big sister doesn't make that loud noise when I'm outside this womb. My poor ears!

This past week, I picked up some other, very pleasant sounds. From what I can tell, it's singing, and it's so soothing. Of course, sometimes it's accompanied by some back and forth motion or other movement. I have to struggle between listening to the singing and being rocked to sleep. Sure hope that *does* continue when I'm on the outside. It sounds so nice.

A few days ago, a large warmth spread across my mommy's tummy. I think I heard her say it was my daddy. He must have really big hands to make that much area warm. Just to let him know I'm here, I gave him a few good kicks. He didn't seem to mind, though. In fact, he sounded really happy and he kept his hand there to feel some more. But I was tired, so I went to sleep. And I think that's what I'm going to do now. Bye for now.

Me again. The mama. :) That's it for now. Tune in each week for the latest. And if you want to receive an email each time I post an update, subscribe using the form over there at the top right.

Thanks for coming along this journey with me...some of you for the second time.

No comments: