image: header
image: gownflare

Monday, December 15, 2008

Baby Update -- Week 26, 14 Weeks to Go!

Well, it's week 26, and all is well. I feel like the bell ringer in a small town, sounding the reassurance in the middle of the night. :)

Today, I'm 26 weeks and 1 day. I'm also closing in on the end of my 6th month. On December 23rd, I'll reach 2 landmarks. I'll be entering my 7th month AND my 3rd and final trimester. Wow! Where has the time gone?

So far, so good. I'm still feeling great...although at the moment, I'm battling a tickle in my throat that's causing those annoying little coughs. I think I might have some icky stuff stuck there that's refusing to budge. And of course, as long as I'm standing, my nose is all clear, but when I lay down, depending on the side on which I'm laying, one side clogs. Ugh!

Oh, and I had a 3-hour glucose test today because my 1-hour from last week came back with elevated numbers at 141. Just a shade over the line, so they wanted to test me again. Started out at fasting blood sugar level of 91, which the tech said is great. She also said she saw no reason why I wouldn't pass this time. Must just be my body's a bit slower metabolizing sugars. Btw, this test is for gestational diabetes. If you get diagnosed with it, you are at higher risk for developing Type II later in life. Praying I come back clean this time.

And now for a few words from the little angel inside me...



Mommy's right. She's been coughing quite a bit. With each one, I get a minor jolt. Sometimes I respond with a kick. Other times, I just settle back into a comfortable position. Really hope Mommy gets better soon. I keep her awake more than enough. She doesn't need anything else to add to what she already has to endure.

I'm 26 weeks old. And guess what? I can see my watery home!

My eyelids have finally separated (they were fused closed previously) and I've been loving my first few moments of sight. Of course, it is a bit dark in here most of the time. Once in a while, I can see pinpricks of light, but I guess Mommy is keeping me snug and warm under layers of clothing. And if what I hear is right, she's keeping herself warm too! It's frigid out there!

I've also acquired the ability to say "yes" and "no" with a shake of my head. This will come in handy when Mommy wants me to do something I don't want to do, especially before I can talk. :) Oh yeah, and my head hair is starting to grow! I can't quite tell, but I think I'm getting a cowlick or two. Guess I'll have to suffer from stubborn bed-head like everyone else. (sigh)

Let's see. What else has happened? Umm, my toenails have grown in and I'm slowly piling on the pounds beneath my rather loose skin. But most of all, my brain tissue and neurons are all zooming right along in their development. I just know it. I'm going to be a genius! And I still have 7 or 8 years to go before my brain activity will start slowing a bit. Wow! So much to learn and so little time. How will I ever manage?

*Yawn* You know, all this talk of this growth I'm achieving and what more there is for me, well, it's making me sleepy. I think I'll let Mommy speak again and curl up for a nice nap. Looks like Mommy likes letting me have my say, so I guess I'll be back next week.




Ok, my little one has drifted into dreamland, so I'll close.

Last week's ultrasound went great. They got the final measurements they needed and baby is measuring just 2 days behind my estimated due date. Baby's heartbeat was 153 this time and we even got a wave caught on film. I'm also 25 weeks in belly measurement, although I'm not quite sure how they have established a standard there since so many women carry their babies so differently. But, as long as everything translates well, I'll take whatever they tell me. I've gained 5 pounds overall and my doctor is quite pleased.

Tune in next week for the latest. And if you want to receive an email each time I post an update, subscribe using the form over there at the top right. Thanks for coming along this journey with me.

* * * * *

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope you glucose test comes back okay and sorry you had to take the 3-hr one! Glad the u/s went well though! Sounds like everything's going good...hope you get over the cough and tickle soon! That's not fun at all.

~Jessica