image: header
image: gownflare

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Hi from Susan!

Hi, I'm Susan Page Davis, guest blogger this week, thanks to Tiff! I am smack in the middle of writing a historical romance called The Castaway's Bride, so my thoughts today are leaning toward heroes marooned on itty bitty islands for way too long. Of course, I have to keep coming back to the real world for things like cooking lunch, giving spelling tests (11 and 13-year-olds still learning at home), and letting the dog, Monte, back in. (Who let him out, anyway?)

Writing fiction is tons of fun, but also hard work. But I'll tell you a secret. It's not nearly as hard as nonfiction. I've worked many years for a newspaper. One of my reporter friends asked me how I can stand writing fiction. He said he likes reporting on community news, and he doesn't have to make up dialogue! There's always someone to quote. I told him I'm just the opposite. In my fiction I don't have to worry about whether I quoted someone correctly. They can say whatever I want them to say! Now, which is more fun, I ask you?

One of my banes is coming up with character names. I use a phone book, baby name books, and (should I admit this?) lists of defendants in the court news I type up for the newspaper. Yes, it's true, I've found some perfect names lurking in the court abstracts. Of course, I try not to use the first and last names of a real person together.

I hope you enjoy my historical romances, mysteries, and children's books. Come visit my website at: www.susanpagedavis.com.

3 comments:

Margo Carmichael said...

Good interview, Tiff. I was interested in Susan's writing non-fiction. I once wrote for a small paper in Orlando, "The Local News." It was great fun, and when they filmed Jaws III at nearby Sea World, and let reporters in, a director let me walk in front of the camera and ultimately, across the silver screen. It showed up in the premiere but was later cut out of the HBO version!

Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Wow, Margo. How exciting. I recently spoke with someone who was an extra in Miss Congeniality and could be seen in 4-5 camera pans. Oh, the little things in our lives which can inspire our writing. :)

Margo Carmichael said...

You're right! In this instance, very little! LOL Actually, I do have this story in mind.... : )