image: header
image: gownflare

Monday, January 24, 2011

Baby Stockton #2 Countdown - Week 29, 11 to Go!

Just 11 weeks left. Actually, it's more like 10-1/2 since the marker changes every Friday. But I post on Mondays, and don't want to get ahead of the game, so I go with the most recent completed week.

And now, as of week 29, here is the update:


The sleeping discomfort is still here, as are the round ligament pains. But thankfully, the gas seems to have subsided quite a lot. Praise God! The newest thing is feeling little butterflies moving around in my belly, and that's my amazing little baby with a case of the hiccups: a fairly common occurrence at this point resulting from practicing breathing for their big birthday. Let's just hope this little guy doesn't get them as often as his Papa and sister do. Could mean a continued investment in a lot of gripe water! And if you have a little one but haven't heard of this, look it up. All-natural blend of ginger and fennel, and for us, it's cured hiccups instantly. Amazing stuff!

Now, in addition to getting a round of butterfly-like hiccups, my little swimmer has arduously managed to accumulate enough baby fat to account for nearly 3.5% of his overall body weight. Yeah, compared to us adults, it’s not a lot, but when they’re little like that—it’s a healthy accomplishment in his own way. We'll see on Thursday how much this tyke weighs, and that will tell me how much of him is body fat at this point.

Another fantastic accomplishment: my baby's spleen is now in charge of hematopoiesis—the 10 dollar name for the process involved in building up certain important blood components. And my little monkey has been peeing into his amniotic sac for several weeks now (which is why potty training takes a while, especially for boys) and if you didn’t know, actually swallows it along with the rest of the amniotic fluid. Yeah, I know. Gross! But although the concept is nasty, their urine is sterile and as part of the amniotic fluid base, is replaced several times throughout the day. So if you didn’t know before, now you can tell people, that yes, every one of you drank your own urine—you were still in the womb, but nonetheless, you’ve been there. :) Ok, so that likely won't become an ice breaker or frequent topic of conversation. But you never know where it might come in handy. Perhaps with blackmail on your children or to simply gross out some younger kids or teenagers.

Finally, while I don't feel like I'm all that big, considering I have about 10 weeks left until due date, I certainly notice it when I'm cooking dinner or doing the dishes. It's becoming a common occurrence for me to bump into counters, tabletops, doors, walls, and a variety of other things as I walk. Sometimes I plumb forget I've got this big belly sticking out in front of me--6-7 inches more than when I'm not pregnant. That can make a heap of difference in what you're able to do and how close you're able to get to something. With my short arms, cooking and doing dishes, or reaching for things just isn't as easy as it used to be. Sure glad I've got some nice padding, or my boy would be getting squished quite often. :)

This Thursday, I'll have a 3rd ultrasound, so I might have some new pictures next week. All depends on if my son decides to cooperates. Last time, the technician had to keep telling him to stop wiggling and kicking. Active fella, for sure!

And now some words from the future field-goal kicker inside me:

Ok, so this week was a bit less stressful than the most recent ones. I've been doing a lot of twisting and turning and rolling around. There hasn't been nearly as much screeching or loud voices. Just lots of laughter and some very nice singing. It's lulled me to sleep on numerous occasions. There were two times when I got jostled around quite a bit, but it was so much fun! I think I heard Mama say something to that big sister character about going over the "bumpies." If they're this much fun on the inside, I can only imagine how much better they'll be once I'm out.

The past few days were very relaxing. I could tell Mama was getting a lot of rest. She said something about it being the last chance for a long while. Sure hope that doesn't mean I'm going to tire her out or keep her from sleeping. If it does, I'm not doing it on purpose. She's given me this great place to grow and stay warm. The last thing I want to do is make her tired. Maybe that Daddy character will help out some.

And speaking of tired, I think I'm done. Mama said something about getting to see me again this week. If I can figure it out, maybe I'll try to wave to her. For now, I'm going to close my eyes and get some rest.

Now it's time for me again. The mama. :) That's it for now. Tune in each week for the latest. And if you want to receive an email each time I post an update, subscribe using the form over there at the top right.

Thanks for coming along this journey with me...some of you for the second time.

No comments: