image: header
image: gownflare

Monday, December 22, 2008

Baby Update -- Week 27, 13 Weeks to Go!

Well, it's week 27, and I've officially closed the 2nd trimester. I'm now just entering the 3rd and final trimester. Plus, I've completed 6 full months.

Let's see, I passed my 3-hour glucose test! Praise the Lord! Numbers came back just fine. So, it means my body takes a little longer for my body to metabolize sugars that I consume. Some folks have bodies that do that in under an hour. Me? It takes about 2 hours. But, the test last week (while long) went well. They drew a lot of blood at each hour, and I started to feel like a human pin-cushion. :)

Once it was done, I was starving. Hadn't eaten since 6pm the night before. So, it had been about 18 hours. My belly and the baby were happy to get some protein again and some sustenance.

Other than that, I've been battling a cold the past week and am just today seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Just a slight lingering cough and some minor sniffles. Last week, though, I wasn't all that great. Slept a lot, didn't have much energy and the only time I could breathe clearly was when I was walking around. SO glad it's over and I'll be back to my old self for Christmas.

The only setback once more is I get to say hello again to the familiar but not-so-lovable face of fatigue. Yep, the dratted third trimester is like a repeat of the 1st, only on a different level. My hormone factory is once again running at full-tilt. Fatigue stems from several factors, including the lovely weight gain, shortness of breath and sleep deprivation.

And of course, there will be a lot more pressure on my bladder, so I'll make even better friends with the bathroom. :) Other thrilling third-trimester symptoms include some possible swelling if I'm standing too long and feeling like I live in a sweat factory. I'm already hot now, especially at night, but with baby's body heat combining with mine, I'm going to be one hot mama! LOL!

And now for a few words from that hot baby Stockton...



Mommy isn't kidding. She was real sick last week. Every cough felt like an earthquake with all the jostling. I felt so bad for her, since I'm inside this nice, warm cushion with lots of padding. I might have been shaken a bit, but I faired just fine. Mommy, on the other hand, had to deal with everything else. Glad things have settled and she's feeling better.

Me? I'm not so tiny anymore. I weigh about 2 pounds and have grown to about 14.5 inches long! I'm also doing some slow rotations in preparation to "head out" on my upcoming birthday. Mommy and Daddy have no idea when that will be, but I know! :) I just won't tell them. They want to be surprised on whether I'm a boy or a girl. I'll let them have that *and* be surprised on when I decide to make my appearance. It's fun both ways!

So, let's see. It's the beginning of the third trimester, and my little lungs are already capable of breathing air while my heart and that palm vase system (or something like that) can provide sufficient gas exchange. My central nervous system can regulate a nice, rhythmic breathing and my body temperature. Yep. I'm getting warmer in here, and in turn, I'm making Mommy warmer. She's always been hot. I've heard her telling Daddy. He calls her his little space heater. Well, for the next few weeks, I get to help turn up the heat. At least it's winter, so she'll be nice and warm and help keep Daddy warm too.

For what it's worth, at this point, if I decided to come early, with intensive care, I could easily win on the show: "Survivor: The Early Years." I know Mommy doens't watch or even like that show, but you get the idea. :)





Ok, it's me again, and I'll wrap up things.

Hubby and I (and baby) will be going down to hubby's family for Christmas. They have about 100 acres of land with 4 homes sitting on it. Easy to get everyone together for some Christmas celebrating. About an hour's drive, and we're taking our dog as well for some run-around time. We'll also attend Christmas Eve service together, then everyone descends on one house for a buffet-style dinner. I'll be helping my mother-in-law with preparations for Christmas Day. It will be great to be involved again.

In the baby world, now is the time to kick our baby-on-the-outside preparations into high gear. I haven't "nested" a lot yet, but I'm starting to feel the pressure now. We'll be having our baby shower in early March so final baby area set-up won't be finished until then. In the meantime, we've got to dress up the nursery area with wall decor and clear out the closet for shelves to store the baby stuff, plan a space for diapering, keep mulling over the names we've picked and if we're going to stick with them, and try to enjoy this time.

When I'm not constipated, running to the toilet, or just plain wiped out, I have a lot yet to do! And I can't forget to get my sleep, be active, and eat well! Phewee! I get tired just thinking about it. But it's all good.

Well, I guess that's about all for now.

Tune in next week for the latest and final update of this year. :) And if you want to receive an email each time I post an update, subscribe using the form over there at the top right. Thanks for coming along this journey with me.

* * * * *

No comments: