image: header
image: gownflare

Monday, October 22, 2007

Colorado Springs' First Snow!

Well, it's official. Winter is on its way. And the first warning came yesterday in the form of Colorado Springs' first snowstorm of the season. Three years ago when I met my husband in Denver at an annual writer's conference, Colorado saw its first snowstorm during the last week of September! So, this year it's a little later. :)

We awoke early to take Roxie out for a walk, then I came back and tried to go back to sleep for a bit more. I only ended up resting for about an hour. My dear hubby came in around 8:30 and said, "You will probably want to see this." See what? I'd like to see the back side of my eyelids for a few more winks. But when he raised the window shade, I knew that possibility was a lost cause. I squinted at the brightness then gasped.

Snowflakes! Outside the window and coming down in a fury! When we had taken Roxie out, there were just a few drifting down from the sky. I figured it was a result of the cold temperatures and the slight moisture in the air. The weather forecast had predicted snow in the mountains...but in Colorado Springs? We're several thousand feet below the peaks and ranges. Then again, it *was* only 32 degrees. Just cold enough for the moisture to become flakes.

Oh, how exciting! I jumped out of bed and raced to the office to grab my camera. Ironic that just 2 weeks ago, I was taking pictures of Autumn in Colorado Springs. Now, I'm snapping shots of white-capped mountains and snow-covered landscapes. Unfortunately, several of the pictures only came out in a blur because the snow was coming down so hard and the wind was blowing so much, that the flakes blurred the image. I managed to snap a few though that worked.

The best part about this delightful surprise is that each week I wonder what I'm going to post on my normal Monday blog. For so many months, I had the wedding and receptions to occupy my time and provide excellent material for weekly updates. Now that they're behind us, I had moments where I wondered if I'd be able to continue. So far, so good. Each week, something happens that I feel is worth sharing with you. I know a lot of my family and friends read this...even if they don't post a comment. *winks* Maybe someday they'll get brave enough to do so. Until then, I'll keep writing!

And here are the rest for your viewing pleasure.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jan Parrish said...

Awesome. Come to my blog and see the first snow on the peaks. I think I'll post my snow photo's as well. Unlike you, I didn't get out in it until the snow had already begun to melt. :)

I love your blog. :) Oh, enter my contest to win a 2008 John Fielder Colorado calender.

Anonymous said...

Ha you're getting snow and we're having almost record breaking highs. It was 82 yesterday.
-Rachel

Anonymous said...

Oh, Amber knows where I am but for anyone else It was 82 yesterday in Reading, PA. -Rachel

Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

The ironic thing is today it's 71 degrees. Gotta love that unpredictable weather!